[Herddb-dev] HerdDB collections in production

Alessandro Luccaroni - Diennea alessandro.luccaroni at diennea.com
Thu Aug 22 17:46:38 CEST 2019

Hi list,
I'm happy to say that, since the last update of Herd (v0.11.9), we are using HerdDB collections in production system and we are very pleased with the performance and the memory usage of Herd.

We first tried to switch with herd v0.11.0 but we encountered some problems on services with lots of data being continuisly load and unloaded (mainly related to filesystem usage)...you can see an history of the fixes needed in the release histo fo the v0.11 branch, thanks Enrico and Diego!

I don't have hard numbers on hand (I need to switch back to MapDB and perform some comparisons, I will update you tomorrow on that), but the performance are at least in line (I think they are better) with the added benefit of the controlled memory usage and a BIG reduction in storage IOPS (Herd data storage versus the memory mapped files of MapDB).

PS: @Amit I've found this benchmark used in past by MapDB (https://github.com/jankotek/mapdb-benchmarks), maybe it would be good to integrate some bench regarding Collections before starting advertise this feature of herd

Alessandro Luccaroni
Platform Manager @ Diennea - MagNews
Tel.: (+39) 0546 066100 Int. 924 - Mob.: (+39) 393 7273519
Viale G.Marconi 30/14 - 48018 Faenza (RA) - Italy

CONFIDENTIALITY & PRIVACY NOTICE
This e-mail (including any attachments) is strictly confidential and may also contain privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you are not authorised to read, print, save, process or disclose this message. If you have received this message by mistake, please inform the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail, its attachments and any copies. Any use, distribution, reproduction or disclosure by any person other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited and the person responsible may incur in penalties.
The use of this e-mail is only for professional purposes; there is no guarantee that the correspondence towards this e-mail will be read only by the recipient, because, under certain circumstances, there may be a need to access this email by third subjects belonging to the Company.