[Herddb-dev] R: Spread the word

Alessandro Luccaroni - Diennea alessandro.luccaroni at diennea.com
Fri Aug 2 14:07:27 CEST 2019

I think that the first two points are a fundamental step before the other ones: having good documentations and tutorial (or writing up blog post telling how we use herd and which problems it fixes) will help newcomers that want to try to use HerdDB inside their software applications. Another key issue is to try ease the work of new committers (but I think this is a problem for a later date, when HerdDB will have some “traction”).

Related to that, IMHO having updated benchmark is really important to convince user to try Herd: for example, as soon as the “collections framework” issues are worked out (we are trying to use it in production inside www.magnews.com<http://www.magnews.com>) we should find a way to compare its performance to the one of MapDB and alike (just like we compare Herd to Mysql with YCSB). Regarding the collections benchmark I have find very few utilites, like https://github.com/DiegoEliasCosta/CollectionsBench.

Apart from that, I think we should try to focus on “spreading the word” mainly with the users that we think will benefit from using Herd:

  *   IMHO devops guys aren’t the focus, since they prefer to use “out of the box” complete applications (and this will negate one of the main feature of HerdDB, being able to embedded it into your software)
  *   Talking with local community will help only if you have a local community very focused on DB tech, like a Database groups at university. Don’t take me wrong, talking with collegues/firends is fine and helps find new ideas, but I think we are still too niche to attract “normal” users
  *   The Apache Foundation is a good starting point, since we use Apache software as bouilding block of Herd. Enrico already shared the project on some mailing list.
  *   Being more active on twitter, also, is one of the aspect that lead to the success of some other opensource community (I’m unable to find it right now, but I remeber a blog post from the lead dev of SOLR talking exaclty about that)

I think the challenge is to found some early adopter to be able to build a “strong” use case around HerdDB.

Ale